An AWESOME food blog, inspired by "Julie & Julia."

52 weeks, 52 countries
I'm cooking across the world because I can't afford to travel it! Every week, I will randomly select a country, do a little research, do a little cooking, and do a lot of eating. So read, laugh, travel, eat, and enjoy!

Friday, January 1, 2010

Week 1: Indonesia

YAY! Happy New Year! And happy new resolution! I am writing a food blog, and as boring as that sounds, I PROMISE it will be beyond exciting! Welcome to the Exotic Food Experiment. I LOVE cooking. Love it! And, I love trying new things. So this experiment is the fusion of those two loves. I am way so super excited!

Ok, down to business. This week, the country I am visiting is. . . INDONESIA! A little background info on this beautiful country:
Indonesia is a country in Southeastern Asia. It comprises of 17,508 small islands! Only 6,000 are inhabited, but still! Indonesia was colonized by the Dutch in the 17th Century, and declared its Independence on August 14, 1945. It is the worlds 4th most populous country, the 3rd largest democracy, and has the world's largest population of Muslims. And, most importantly, it is beautiful!

Indonesia is known as "The Spice Island" in the culinary world. The spices nutmeg and clove are native to the island! Popular spice combinations are cinnamon, coriander,star anise, cumin, cardamom, and chili. Rice is a meal staple. In Indonesia, the food is a fusion of Chinese, European, Middle Eastern, and Indian tastes. How awesome is that!

I can't wait to cook my Indonesian meal! Whoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment