An AWESOME food blog, inspired by "Julie & Julia."

52 weeks, 52 countries
I'm cooking across the world because I can't afford to travel it! Every week, I will randomly select a country, do a little research, do a little cooking, and do a lot of eating. So read, laugh, travel, eat, and enjoy!

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Week 10: Chile

I always put this off until forever. But I figure it doesn't really matter because nobody besides my family actually reads this. But that's ok. I'm not doing it for the fame and fortune that is supposed to accompany a blog. Although that would be nice.

Back to business. Last week I made Chilean food in honor of my dear friend Elder Pierce who is serving his mission in Concepcion. I've been thinking a lot about him lately because of the earthquake and everything (he's ok, no worries) so I thought that I would bring a piece of him home. I made the meal at Alexa's because Justin and Spencer and I were fighting and couldn't be in the same room together. So my testers this week were Holly and Alexa and then some Polynesian boys who tried to convince me to make dog. Anyway, it was strange working in an unknown kitchen. I didn't really like it and am excited to cook in my own kitchen tonight.

For an appetizer I made Cold Avocado Soup. It was just avocados, chives, and milk. The avocados I selected were not the ripest and so this soup had a strange texture but when eaten with fresh tortillas (the kind you buy raw and cook yourself) was actually quite nice. We ended up using it as a dip for our main dish which was Chilean Carbonada. This was really really tasty. It was this steak stew type thing with potatoes and butternut squash and rice. Oh my goodness! It turned into this really thick gumbo-like thing. I really don't know how to describe it but I loved it! We ate this with the tortillas and dipped it in the soup and it tasted divine! For dessert I made Que Que. Now this was quite funny to me because it translates to What What in English. :D Anyway, it was this lemon pecan loaf. It tasted really good but was really crumbly because Alexa and Holly did not have any proper butter and I was not about to go back to the store. I liked the cake loaf what thing. It was just too dry.

Chilean food was good. A success I would say. Elder Pierce will be proud. Now I just have to get around to writing him a letter. We'll see when I get time for that.


1 comment:

  1. Sorry for the lack of pictures this week. I forgot to take any.

    ReplyDelete